- Integration– Git has very flexible integration with Stash(GIt UI), Bamboo (Build tool) , JIRA (Agile). We can associate feature (a separate branch of code for a given story) branch with any JIRA story ( part of a sprint) by creating branch from Stash. So that all code changes/commits can be easily audit/trackable. Bamboo create build and show status of build (pass or fail) to Stash/Git and JIRA board.
- Cloning – GIT creates a separate mirror branch for a minor change.
- Easy switching between different branches- feature, develop, release, master, tag with the same set of local code or same folder. No need to replicate like SVN. Code merge and roll back is also easy and quicker.
- Forking – A new project can be created outside of your project space by external team. Other team can work in parallel and merge their code like XYZ team has their own developers and development process, however they can work on same set of code and later on merge and release using same original remote repository.
- Easy Code Review– We can do peer review by using Git/Stash tool by creating pull request. There we have set rules like- at least 2 approvals,1 successful build etc.
- Easy to manage various branches and code merge is easy by its own merge tool/console commands.
- Light wight and faster than SVN.
One thought on “Git vs SVN – Advantages of GIT”
Awesome content. You should use social websites to increase traffic.
There are tools which automate this time consuming process.Visitors can flood your
page in no time, just search in google for:
Rixisosa’s Social Automation